Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Fed Up Republican Vents


Another stellar article from Tom Shaw in Iowa. Our nation needs 100s more just like him!

By Tom Shaw
Independent Candidate for Iowa House District 8
October 23rd, 2009

I received a very interesting copy of a letter today in the mail. It was written by a gentleman who lives outside of my district, and it was addressed to Senator Snowe. The author had written the Senator to voice his disapproval of her recent vote on the health care bill. And then, the topic turned to Republican politics here in Iowa. His letter reflects the growing anger and distrust of the Republican Party, and represents the attitude of an ever increasing number of the voters in my district.

I thought I’d share a couple of excerpts from his letter:

“In Iowa, we have had several Republicans like Tom Shaw quit the party and are going to be running as an Independent for various offices. Quite frankly, I don’t blame them and am thinking about doing the same myself next year. This especially after the way the party treated Joe Wilson and your recent vote. It is d**n sad when Independents are more than willing to stand up for a party platform than a member of that very party. Just Saturday the Iowa GOP called asking for money. He hung up on me when I started to tell him how upset I was. The party thinks it is more important to win an election than advance the platform. Well how did that work out for you with Jim Leach coming out for Obama? President Bush coming out for Arlen Spector? Or a leader in the Iowa GOP party stabbing Chris Reed in the back against Harkin? And just this week we didn’t hear a word from the Iowa GOP when the head of the local NAACP came out for Vander Plaats. Could it be that they were too busy kissing “raised the sales tax twice, went to court over budget tricks, put judges on the bench who gave us gay marriage” Terry Brandstad’s ring?

“You better get used to being in the minority because you will never get the base behind you again. The base, like me, live by principle, what do you do? And don’t give me the line about having to be in the majority to get anything done. You cannot even vote right in the minority so how can I trust you later?....”

Signed
John B. Johnson
Britt, Iowa

No comments: